How You Can Fight Back!
If you have been harassed because of your sex, gender or sexual orientation, here are some steps you can take to fight against sexual harassment:
- Call us at (510)978-4880 or (415)453-4740. We can help guide you through the process and protect your rights.
- Look at your employee handbook to see what procedures your employer has set up for you to complain and to protect you against retaliation.
- Tell the harasser using clear language that their conduct is unwelcome.
- Tell a supervisor, manager or human resources personnel that you are experiencing a hostile work environment based on your sex, gender or sexual orientation (or other protected attribute).
- Write down everything you consider to be harassing conduct, even conduct that is not sexual. All negative conduct can contribute to a hostile work environment.
- Save any text messages or emails that support your sexual harassment claims.
- If you are experiencing emotional distress of any kind, talk to a therapist or other qualified medical help. You can also speak to your doctor or a member of the clergy.
Do not blame yourself for being a victim. Sexual harassment is illegal and employers must take steps to prevent it. You have the right to work in an environment free from harassment.
Like many victims of sexual harassment, you may be suffering from depression, anxiety, guilt or other physical or mental distress. You are not alone. We understand what you are going through and can help you fight against harassment and hold your employer accountable.
If you are not sure whether you need a sexual harassment lawyer, let us help you decide. Contact us today for a free consultation. With offices in Oakland and San Anselmo, we are conveniently located for employees living in the San Francisco Bay Area, including Alameda and San Francisco Counties.